Although stress is an inevitable part of life the recession has amplified the nature, magnitude, and impact of stress for many around the globe. The threat or reality of losing a job or one’s home, searching for work in an untenable job market, having to stretch an already thin budget even further, and many other concerns all cause fear, anxiety, worry, and frustration. Marc Skelton suggests that although what makes these types of stressors so problematic is our inability to control them, we do have control over how we respond. He suggests a number of strategies including using social support networks and reframing the situation. Coping comes in many forms and researchers have highlighted a new factor, self-compassion that may influence coping attempts. Those high in self-compassion (those who treat the self with kindness and concern in response to negative events) tend to avoid problems less and engage in cognitive restructuring more than those low in self-compassion whereas the two groups do not differ in problem solving or distraction (Allen & Leary, 2010). Treatment of the self during stressful events could also influence physiological and psychological adjustment as well as how one responds to others in need. Further work is needed to clarify how this and other characteristics might influence coping attempts.
Social Psychology Eye
- Social Psychological Processes that Facilitate Sexual Assault within the Fraternity Party Subculture April 24, 2015
- Sport and Social Inequalities April 24, 2015
- Issue Information April 24, 2015
- Connecting Social Psychology and the Sociology of Sport: Using Goffman as a Framework for Sociological Sports Research April 24, 2015
- Teaching and Learning Guide for “Gender In/equality in Worker-owned Businesses” April 24, 2015
- Why do we join groups?
- Women with hairy legs – an oxymoron?
- Ostracism and School Shootings: What's the Connection?
- Bias causes bias
- Why flee when you can fight: the counter-evolutionary practice of bullfighting
- Ideological dilemmas and depression
- Act your age: young people will like you more!
- Priming racist symbol promotes racist voting
- Christiano Ronaldo, Emporio Armani and homoeroticism
- Psychology, rape and the attribution of responsibility
April 2015 M T W T F S S « Oct 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.