Although stress is an inevitable part of life the recession has amplified the nature, magnitude, and impact of stress for many around the globe. The threat or reality of losing a job or one’s home, searching for work in an untenable job market, having to stretch an already thin budget even further, and many other concerns all cause fear, anxiety, worry, and frustration. Marc Skelton suggests that although what makes these types of stressors so problematic is our inability to control them, we do have control over how we respond. He suggests a number of strategies including using social support networks and reframing the situation. Coping comes in many forms and researchers have highlighted a new factor, self-compassion that may influence coping attempts. Those high in self-compassion (those who treat the self with kindness and concern in response to negative events) tend to avoid problems less and engage in cognitive restructuring more than those low in self-compassion whereas the two groups do not differ in problem solving or distraction (Allen & Leary, 2010). Treatment of the self during stressful events could also influence physiological and psychological adjustment as well as how one responds to others in need. Further work is needed to clarify how this and other characteristics might influence coping attempts.
Social Psychology Eye
- Issue Information May 25, 2015
- Rabindranath Tagore's Global Vision May 25, 2015
- Rabindranath Tagore: the Next 50 Years May 25, 2015
- Co-operation and Co-operatives: The global dilemmas of Tagore's Rural Democracy May 25, 2015
- Tagore and Gandhi: The Way of the Artist and the Way of the Ascetic May 25, 2015
- Why do we join groups?
- The Pursuit of Happiness
- Hug me, Mom: Stroller or baby carrier?
- Individual's influence on culture: What does Michael Jackson's story tell us
- It's Complicated: The Realm of On & Off Relationships
- Women with hairy legs – an oxymoron?
- Bias causes bias
- Religion as a weapon: Time to disarm
- First Birthers, now Deathers... Why so many conspiracy theories?
- Love is blind?
May 2015 M T W T F S S « Oct 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.