Although stress is an inevitable part of life the recession has amplified the nature, magnitude, and impact of stress for many around the globe. The threat or reality of losing a job or one’s home, searching for work in an untenable job market, having to stretch an already thin budget even further, and many other concerns all cause fear, anxiety, worry, and frustration. Marc Skelton suggests that although what makes these types of stressors so problematic is our inability to control them, we do have control over how we respond. He suggests a number of strategies including using social support networks and reframing the situation. Coping comes in many forms and researchers have highlighted a new factor, self-compassion that may influence coping attempts. Those high in self-compassion (those who treat the self with kindness and concern in response to negative events) tend to avoid problems less and engage in cognitive restructuring more than those low in self-compassion whereas the two groups do not differ in problem solving or distraction (Allen & Leary, 2010). Treatment of the self during stressful events could also influence physiological and psychological adjustment as well as how one responds to others in need. Further work is needed to clarify how this and other characteristics might influence coping attempts.
Social Psychology Eye
- Issue Information July 27, 2015
- Temples, Towers, Shifting Sands: “Greater Truth” in Historical Writing July 27, 2015
- State and Religion in the Formative Stage of Islam (7th–11th Centuries C.E.) July 27, 2015
- New Trends in the Political History of Iran Under the Great Saljuqs (11th–12th Centuries) July 27, 2015
- The Aims of Big History July 27, 2015
- Why do we join groups?
- It's Complicated: The Realm of On & Off Relationships
- Confirmation Bias, Satire, and Stephen Colbert
- Astrology, the Forer Effect, and the Allure of Personal Feedback
- Strategic advantages to helping international out-groups
- Women with hairy legs – an oxymoron?
- If First You Don't Succeed, Prophesize Again: In the Face of Dissonant Followers, Camping Sticks to his Tune
- Featured Journals
- The Pursuit of Happiness
July 2015 M T W T F S S « Oct 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.