by paulabowles Today’s papers have focused once more on the key motifs of the conference, that of breaking down borders and indisciplinarity. Nancy Naples (University of Connecticut) uses her paper: ‘Borderlands Studies and Border Theory: Linking Activism and Scholarship for Social Justice’ to highlight just some of the difficulties faced when ‘negotiate[ing] different disciplinary frames, methods, and theoretical assumptions in order to move forward toward collaborative problem solving’. The second paper today entitled ‘Theorizing Borders in a ‘Borderless World’: Globalization, Territory and Identity’ was presented by Alexander Diener (Pepperdine University) and Joshua Hagen (Marshall University). The authors question the assumption that world is becoming increasingly borderless, instead suggesting that state borders continue to ‘remain one of the most basic and visible features of the international system.’ Finally, on the third day of the conference Kivmars Bowling (Wiley-Blackwell) has presented a particularly relevant publishing workshop entitled ‘The Online Author’s Survival Guide’. The daily book prize was awarded to Maeve O’Donovan for her comment on David Crystal’s keynote lecture and the conference day ended in the Second Life cocktail bar.
Social Psychology Eye
- Issue Information April 27, 2015
- Writing Language-based Trade Books: Making Linguistics Accessible to Lay Audiences April 27, 2015
- Discourses on Language and Citizenship in Europe April 27, 2015
- Turkish German April 27, 2015
- Social Psychological Processes that Facilitate Sexual Assault within the Fraternity Party Subculture April 24, 2015
- Why do we join groups?
- Anti-government protests and mirror-image perceptions in Thailand
- Gender Stereotypes and Success in the Military
- Does isolation reduce violent behavior among psychiatric inpatients?
- Astrology, the Forer Effect, and the Allure of Personal Feedback
- Religion as a weapon: Time to disarm
- Ostracism and School Shootings: What's the Connection?
- Ideological dilemmas and depression
- Love is blind?
- The Pursuit of Happiness
May 2015 M T W T F S S « Oct 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.