by paulabowles Today’s papers have focused once more on the key motifs of the conference, that of breaking down borders and indisciplinarity. Nancy Naples (University of Connecticut) uses her paper: ‘Borderlands Studies and Border Theory: Linking Activism and Scholarship for Social Justice’ to highlight just some of the difficulties faced when ‘negotiate[ing] different disciplinary frames, methods, and theoretical assumptions in order to move forward toward collaborative problem solving’. The second paper today entitled ‘Theorizing Borders in a ‘Borderless World’: Globalization, Territory and Identity’ was presented by Alexander Diener (Pepperdine University) and Joshua Hagen (Marshall University). The authors question the assumption that world is becoming increasingly borderless, instead suggesting that state borders continue to ‘remain one of the most basic and visible features of the international system.’ Finally, on the third day of the conference Kivmars Bowling (Wiley-Blackwell) has presented a particularly relevant publishing workshop entitled ‘The Online Author’s Survival Guide’. The daily book prize was awarded to Maeve O’Donovan for her comment on David Crystal’s keynote lecture and the conference day ended in the Second Life cocktail bar.
Social Psychology Eye
- Navigating Haiti's History: Saint-Domingue and the Haitian Revolution May 26, 2015
- The Nature of Total War: Grasping the Global Environmental Dimensions of World War II May 26, 2015
- Issue Information May 26, 2015
- Rumour and Politics May 26, 2015
- Ecclesiastical Reform in Historiographical Context May 26, 2015
- Why do we join groups?
- Confirmation Bias, Satire, and Stephen Colbert
- Ideological dilemmas and depression
- Social Psychology Eye featured on Online Courses.org's top 100 blogs
- 'Thinking outside the Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung'
- Bias causes bias
- Affirmative action for women in Iraq
- Ostracism and School Shootings: What's the Connection?
- The Pursuit of Happiness
May 2015 M T W T F S S « Oct 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.