Although stress is an inevitable part of life the recession has amplified the nature, magnitude, and impact of stress for many around the globe. The threat or reality of losing a job or one’s home, searching for work in an untenable job market, having to stretch an already thin budget even further, and many other concerns all cause fear, anxiety, worry, and frustration. Marc Skelton suggests that although what makes these types of stressors so problematic is our inability to control them, we do have control over how we respond. He suggests a number of strategies including using social support networks and reframing the situation. Coping comes in many forms and researchers have highlighted a new factor, self-compassion that may influence coping attempts. Those high in self-compassion (those who treat the self with kindness and concern in response to negative events) tend to avoid problems less and engage in cognitive restructuring more than those low in self-compassion whereas the two groups do not differ in problem solving or distraction (Allen & Leary, 2010). Treatment of the self during stressful events could also influence physiological and psychological adjustment as well as how one responds to others in need. Further work is needed to clarify how this and other characteristics might influence coping attempts.
Social Psychology Eye
- Issue Information June 25, 2015
- Restoring Agency to Informal Diplomats in Narratives of the Vietnam War June 25, 2015
- Educational Spaces and the ‘Whole’ Child: A Spatial History of School Design, Pedagogy and the Modern Australian Nation June 25, 2015
- The Significance of the Secondhand Trade in Europe, 1200–1600 June 25, 2015
- Wellington's Men: The British Soldier of the Napoleonic Wars June 16, 2015
- Why do we join groups?
- Hating your ex is not the only break-up rule.
- Mad Scientists: Can we ever revisit Milgram's diabolical studies?
- Does isolation reduce violent behavior among psychiatric inpatients?
- Hug me, Mom: Stroller or baby carrier?
- The Pursuit of Happiness
- "Me a bigot? No way, I hate them!"
- Corporations Seek White Faces: Unique Employment Opportunities in China
- Is it irresistible: How can we stop drinking?
- Internet Avengers
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.