Although stress is an inevitable part of life the recession has amplified the nature, magnitude, and impact of stress for many around the globe. The threat or reality of losing a job or one’s home, searching for work in an untenable job market, having to stretch an already thin budget even further, and many other concerns all cause fear, anxiety, worry, and frustration. Marc Skelton suggests that although what makes these types of stressors so problematic is our inability to control them, we do have control over how we respond. He suggests a number of strategies including using social support networks and reframing the situation. Coping comes in many forms and researchers have highlighted a new factor, self-compassion that may influence coping attempts. Those high in self-compassion (those who treat the self with kindness and concern in response to negative events) tend to avoid problems less and engage in cognitive restructuring more than those low in self-compassion whereas the two groups do not differ in problem solving or distraction (Allen & Leary, 2010). Treatment of the self during stressful events could also influence physiological and psychological adjustment as well as how one responds to others in need. Further work is needed to clarify how this and other characteristics might influence coping attempts.
Social Psychology Eye
- Nerve Theory and Sensibility: ‘Delicacy’ in the Work of Fanny Burney March 9, 2014
- Issue Information March 9, 2014
- Made of the Mist: Nineteenth-Century British and American Views of Niagara II March 9, 2014
- Charlotte Malkin's Waterloo Diary and the Politics of Waterloo Tourism March 9, 2014
- Towards a Chinese Perspective on Dickinson March 9, 2014
- Why do we join groups?
- The Pursuit of Happiness
- Are you afraid to go to Mexico? Mental shortcuts may promote misperceptions about risk
- Don’t be a hero! Benefits of the bystander effect
- Astrology, the Forer Effect, and the Allure of Personal Feedback
- Confirmation Bias, Satire, and Stephen Colbert
- Hug me, Mom: Stroller or baby carrier?
- Earning Moral Credit by Buying “Green”: South Park Was Right All Along!
- Ideological dilemmas and depression
- Strategic advantages to helping international out-groups
- Issue Information: No abstract is available for this article. bit.ly/1kYMt4Y 6 days ago
- An Enduring Somatic Threat Model of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Due to Acute Life-Threatening Medical Events... bit.ly/1hJCPDd 6 days ago
- Implicit Consistency Processes in Social Cognition: Explicit-Implicit Discrepancies Across Systems of Evaluati... bit.ly/1hJCPmR 6 days ago
- Leadership as a Dominant Cultural Myth: A Strain-Based Perspective on Leadership Approaches: The current paper... bit.ly/1hJCPmJ 6 days ago
- Positive Emotion Differentiation: A Functional Approach: While positive emotion can be conceptualized broadly ... bit.ly/1kYMqGc 6 days ago