by paulabowles Today’s papers have focused once more on the key motifs of the conference, that of breaking down borders and indisciplinarity. Nancy Naples (University of Connecticut) uses her paper: ‘Borderlands Studies and Border Theory: Linking Activism and Scholarship for Social Justice’ to highlight just some of the difficulties faced when ‘negotiate[ing] different disciplinary frames, methods, and theoretical assumptions in order to move forward toward collaborative problem solving’. The second paper today entitled ‘Theorizing Borders in a ‘Borderless World’: Globalization, Territory and Identity’ was presented by Alexander Diener (Pepperdine University) and Joshua Hagen (Marshall University). The authors question the assumption that world is becoming increasingly borderless, instead suggesting that state borders continue to ‘remain one of the most basic and visible features of the international system.’ Finally, on the third day of the conference Kivmars Bowling (Wiley-Blackwell) has presented a particularly relevant publishing workshop entitled ‘The Online Author’s Survival Guide’. The daily book prize was awarded to Maeve O’Donovan for her comment on David Crystal’s keynote lecture and the conference day ended in the Second Life cocktail bar.
Social Psychology Eye
- Issue Information June 25, 2015
- Restoring Agency to Informal Diplomats in Narratives of the Vietnam War June 25, 2015
- Educational Spaces and the ‘Whole’ Child: A Spatial History of School Design, Pedagogy and the Modern Australian Nation June 25, 2015
- The Significance of the Secondhand Trade in Europe, 1200–1600 June 25, 2015
- Wellington's Men: The British Soldier of the Napoleonic Wars June 16, 2015
- Why do we join groups?
- Hating your ex is not the only break-up rule.
- Mad Scientists: Can we ever revisit Milgram's diabolical studies?
- Does isolation reduce violent behavior among psychiatric inpatients?
- Hug me, Mom: Stroller or baby carrier?
- The Pursuit of Happiness
- "Me a bigot? No way, I hate them!"
- Corporations Seek White Faces: Unique Employment Opportunities in China
- Is it irresistible: How can we stop drinking?
- Internet Avengers
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.