Although stress is an inevitable part of life the recession has amplified the nature, magnitude, and impact of stress for many around the globe. The threat or reality of losing a job or one’s home, searching for work in an untenable job market, having to stretch an already thin budget even further, and many other concerns all cause fear, anxiety, worry, and frustration. Marc Skelton suggests that although what makes these types of stressors so problematic is our inability to control them, we do have control over how we respond. He suggests a number of strategies including using social support networks and reframing the situation. Coping comes in many forms and researchers have highlighted a new factor, self-compassion that may influence coping attempts. Those high in self-compassion (those who treat the self with kindness and concern in response to negative events) tend to avoid problems less and engage in cognitive restructuring more than those low in self-compassion whereas the two groups do not differ in problem solving or distraction (Allen & Leary, 2010). Treatment of the self during stressful events could also influence physiological and psychological adjustment as well as how one responds to others in need. Further work is needed to clarify how this and other characteristics might influence coping attempts.
Social Psychology Eye
- Questioning the Capetians, 1180–1328 July 28, 2014
- Space and Emotion: Building to Feel July 28, 2014
- Diet as Culture. On the Medical Context of Food Consumption in the Medieval Middle East July 28, 2014
- Issue Information July 28, 2014
- ‘The Scum of French Criminals and Convicts’: Australia and New Caledonia Escapees July 28, 2014
- Why do we join groups?
- Truck driver... no wait a professor! Can glasses really change impressions of you?
- Are you afraid to go to Mexico? Mental shortcuts may promote misperceptions about risk
- The Pursuit of Happiness
- Masculinity, men’s health and the ‘caveman diet’
- Hating your ex is not the only break-up rule.
- When "The Black Sheep" Is White
- Women with hairy legs – an oxymoron?
- Benevolent Sexism and Hollywood
- Act your age: young people will like you more!
July 2014 M T W T F S S « Oct 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- Issue Information: No abstract is available for this article. bit.ly/1o6WnCt 3 weeks ago
- Weapons of Influence Misused: A Social Influence Analysis of Why People Fall Prey to Internet Scams: Internet ... bit.ly/1o6Wnmb 3 weeks ago
- A Propositional Model of Implicit Evaluation: Implicit evaluation can be defined as the automatic effect of st... bit.ly/1rgX6pH 3 weeks ago
- Perspective-Taking as a Strategy for Improving Intergroup Relations: Evidence, Mechanisms, and Qualifications:... bit.ly/1o6WlL3 3 weeks ago
- Unpacking East–West Differences in the Extent of Self-Enhancement from the Perspective of Face versus Dignity ... bit.ly/1o6WnlS 3 weeks ago