Geography is a factor in relationships. Not surprising, working, taking a class, or sharing a common space with someone may lead to a long-term friendship or relationship. An NPR news report notes that many people make long time friends when in college. Although geographical closeness at times leads to friendships the question remains as to what motivates these relationships. Cross (2009) points to a variable known as the relational self-construal defined in terms of how an individual see’s oneself in relation to others close to us. So close relationships must have lasted because someone (or both) in the dyad is high on the relational self-construal. For the purpose of continuing the relationship these individuals tend to be particularly attentive to the needs of others by paying close attention to information. Cross writes that actions such as give and take, openness, providing support and encouragement are characteristic of those high in relational self-construal. While geography may be a factor when it comes to who you are acquainted with, attentiveness to others in relation to oneself determines who your friends will be .
Social Psychology Eye
- Issue Information October 17, 2014
- Race, Religion, or Ethnicity?: Situating Jews in the American Scene October 17, 2014
- Religion and the Japanese American Incarceration October 17, 2014
- Issue Information October 15, 2014
- Better Surface Realization through Psycholinguistics October 15, 2014
- Why do we join groups?
- Are you afraid to go to Mexico? Mental shortcuts may promote misperceptions about risk
- The Pursuit of Happiness
- Truck driver... no wait a professor! Can glasses really change impressions of you?
- Featured Journals
- Hating your ex is not the only break-up rule.
- News Editors
- When "The Black Sheep" Is White
- It's Complicated: The Realm of On & Off Relationships
October 2014 M T W T F S S « Oct 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- Antecedents of Message Processing in Persuasion: Traditional and Emergent Perspectives: From more than a half ... bit.ly/ZmskjG 2 weeks ago
- Pathways Between Concealable Stigmatized Identities and Substance Misuse: Individuals with concealable stigmat... bit.ly/1rZNrDL 2 weeks ago
- Exaggerated Positivity in Self-Evaluation: A Social Neuroscience Approach to Reconciling the Role of Self-este... bit.ly/1rZNpfd 2 weeks ago
- Issue Information: No abstract is available for this article. bit.ly/1rZNrDH 2 weeks ago
- Let Go of Your (Inflated) Ego: Caring more about Others Reduces Narcissistic Tendencies: Narcissists are known... bit.ly/1o4v8YO 1 month ago