by paulabowles Today’s papers have focused once more on the key motifs of the conference, that of breaking down borders and indisciplinarity. Nancy Naples (University of Connecticut) uses her paper: ‘Borderlands Studies and Border Theory: Linking Activism and Scholarship for Social Justice’ to highlight just some of the difficulties faced when ‘negotiate[ing] different disciplinary frames, methods, and theoretical assumptions in order to move forward toward collaborative problem solving’. The second paper today entitled ‘Theorizing Borders in a ‘Borderless World’: Globalization, Territory and Identity’ was presented by Alexander Diener (Pepperdine University) and Joshua Hagen (Marshall University). The authors question the assumption that world is becoming increasingly borderless, instead suggesting that state borders continue to ‘remain one of the most basic and visible features of the international system.’ Finally, on the third day of the conference Kivmars Bowling (Wiley-Blackwell) has presented a particularly relevant publishing workshop entitled ‘The Online Author’s Survival Guide’. The daily book prize was awarded to Maeve O’Donovan for her comment on David Crystal’s keynote lecture and the conference day ended in the Second Life cocktail bar.
Social Psychology Eye
- Issue Information July 10, 2014
- The Anthropocene and Geography I: The Back Story July 10, 2014
- The Anthropocene and Geography III: Future Directions July 10, 2014
- Corporate Social Responsibility and Development in Africa: Issues and Possibilities July 10, 2014
- Green Consumption, Ecolabelling and Capitalism's Environmental Limits July 10, 2014
- Why do we join groups?
- Are you afraid to go to Mexico? Mental shortcuts may promote misperceptions about risk
- Truck driver... no wait a professor! Can glasses really change impressions of you?
- Ostracism and School Shootings: What's the Connection?
- The Pursuit of Happiness
- Ideological dilemmas and depression
- Targeting terrorist capability versus intent
- Does isolation reduce violent behavior among psychiatric inpatients?
- Hating your ex is not the only break-up rule.
- Terminator Masculinity
July 2014 M T W T F S S « Oct 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- Issue Information: No abstract is available for this article. bit.ly/1o6WnCt 2 weeks ago
- Weapons of Influence Misused: A Social Influence Analysis of Why People Fall Prey to Internet Scams: Internet ... bit.ly/1o6Wnmb 2 weeks ago
- A Propositional Model of Implicit Evaluation: Implicit evaluation can be defined as the automatic effect of st... bit.ly/1rgX6pH 2 weeks ago
- Perspective-Taking as a Strategy for Improving Intergroup Relations: Evidence, Mechanisms, and Qualifications:... bit.ly/1o6WlL3 2 weeks ago
- Unpacking East–West Differences in the Extent of Self-Enhancement from the Perspective of Face versus Dignity ... bit.ly/1o6WnlS 2 weeks ago