Geography is a factor in relationships. Not surprising, working, taking a class, or sharing a common space with someone may lead to a long-term friendship or relationship. An NPR news report notes that many people make long time friends when in college. Although geographical closeness at times leads to friendships the question remains as to what motivates these relationships. Cross (2009) points to a variable known as the relational self-construal defined in terms of how an individual see’s oneself in relation to others close to us. So close relationships must have lasted because someone (or both) in the dyad is high on the relational self-construal. For the purpose of continuing the relationship these individuals tend to be particularly attentive to the needs of others by paying close attention to information. Cross writes that actions such as give and take, openness, providing support and encouragement are characteristic of those high in relational self-construal. While geography may be a factor when it comes to who you are acquainted with, attentiveness to others in relation to oneself determines who your friends will be .
Social Psychology Eye
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Why do we join groups?
- Truck driver... no wait a professor! Can glasses really change impressions of you?
- Are you afraid to go to Mexico? Mental shortcuts may promote misperceptions about risk
- The Pursuit of Happiness
- Women with hairy legs – an oxymoron?
- Confirmation Bias, Satire, and Stephen Colbert
- Anti-government protests and mirror-image perceptions in Thailand
- Gender Stereotypes and Success in the Military
- Strategic advantages to helping international out-groups
- Ostracism and School Shootings: What's the Connection?
- Issue Information: No abstract is available for this article. bit.ly/1w8KrYB 4 weeks ago
- Understanding and Overcoming Self-control Depletion: After people exert self-control, self-control performance... bit.ly/1w8KrIh 4 weeks ago
- Are Virtual Environments the New Frontier in Obesity Management?: Advances in virtual environment technology, ... bit.ly/1w8KqUJ 4 weeks ago
- The Rhythm Is Gonna Get You: The Influence of Circadian Rhythm Synchrony on Self-Control Outcomes: This articl... bit.ly/1w8KrrQ 4 weeks ago
- Am I My Genes? Perceived Genetic Etiology, Intrapersonal Processes, and Health: With the increasing popularity... bit.ly/1reGzi2 4 weeks ago