Geography is a factor in relationships. Not surprising, working, taking a class, or sharing a common space with someone may lead to a long-term friendship or relationship. An NPR news report notes that many people make long time friends when in college. Although geographical closeness at times leads to friendships the question remains as to what motivates these relationships. Cross (2009) points to a variable known as the relational self-construal defined in terms of how an individual see’s oneself in relation to others close to us. So close relationships must have lasted because someone (or both) in the dyad is high on the relational self-construal. For the purpose of continuing the relationship these individuals tend to be particularly attentive to the needs of others by paying close attention to information. Cross writes that actions such as give and take, openness, providing support and encouragement are characteristic of those high in relational self-construal. While geography may be a factor when it comes to who you are acquainted with, attentiveness to others in relation to oneself determines who your friends will be .
Social Psychology Eye
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Why do we join groups?
- What's in a name?
- The Pursuit of Happiness
- Earning Moral Credit by Buying “Green”: South Park Was Right All Along!
- It's Complicated: The Realm of On & Off Relationships
- Glass ceiling or labyrinth? Reexamining the gender gap at the top
- Confirmation Bias, Satire, and Stephen Colbert
- Truck driver... no wait a professor! Can glasses really change impressions of you?
- Scared Stiff: Does Fear Motivate or Paralyze Us?
- Hug me, Mom: Stroller or baby carrier?
- Why Does It Feel Good To Act Like an Extravert?: Research into enacted personality provides a novel perspectiv... bit.ly/1k4xPah 1 week ago
- On The Nature of Experiencing Self-Agency: The Role of Goals and Primes in Inferring Oneself as the Cause of B... bit.ly/1jf7A3l 1 week ago
- Issue Information: No abstract is available for this article. bit.ly/1k4xNiL 1 week ago
- Long-term Effects of Dieting: Is Weight Loss Related to Health?: “Success” in dieting interventions has tradit... bit.ly/1jf7yIO 1 week ago
- Goal Adjustment Capacities, Subjective Well-being, and Physical Health: This article addresses how individuals... bit.ly/1k4xOTN 1 week ago