by paulabowles Today’s papers have focused once more on the key motifs of the conference, that of breaking down borders and indisciplinarity. Nancy Naples (University of Connecticut) uses her paper: ‘Borderlands Studies and Border Theory: Linking Activism and Scholarship for Social Justice’ to highlight just some of the difficulties faced when ‘negotiate[ing] different disciplinary frames, methods, and theoretical assumptions in order to move forward toward collaborative problem solving’. The second paper today entitled ‘Theorizing Borders in a ‘Borderless World’: Globalization, Territory and Identity’ was presented by Alexander Diener (Pepperdine University) and Joshua Hagen (Marshall University). The authors question the assumption that world is becoming increasingly borderless, instead suggesting that state borders continue to ‘remain one of the most basic and visible features of the international system.’ Finally, on the third day of the conference Kivmars Bowling (Wiley-Blackwell) has presented a particularly relevant publishing workshop entitled ‘The Online Author’s Survival Guide’. The daily book prize was awarded to Maeve O’Donovan for her comment on David Crystal’s keynote lecture and the conference day ended in the Second Life cocktail bar.
Social Psychology Eye
- Nerve Theory and Sensibility: ‘Delicacy’ in the Work of Fanny Burney March 9, 2014
- Issue Information March 9, 2014
- Made of the Mist: Nineteenth-Century British and American Views of Niagara II March 9, 2014
- Charlotte Malkin's Waterloo Diary and the Politics of Waterloo Tourism March 9, 2014
- Towards a Chinese Perspective on Dickinson March 9, 2014
- Why do we join groups?
- Don’t be a hero! Benefits of the bystander effect
- Astrology, the Forer Effect, and the Allure of Personal Feedback
- Hug me, Mom: Stroller or baby carrier?
- Confirmation Bias, Satire, and Stephen Colbert
- What is it about groups that promotes aggression?
- Gender Stereotypes and Success in the Military
- Truck driver... no wait a professor! Can glasses really change impressions of you?
- The Pursuit of Happiness
- Women with hairy legs – an oxymoron?
- Issue Information: No abstract is available for this article. bit.ly/1kYMt4Y 5 days ago
- An Enduring Somatic Threat Model of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Due to Acute Life-Threatening Medical Events... bit.ly/1hJCPDd 5 days ago
- Implicit Consistency Processes in Social Cognition: Explicit-Implicit Discrepancies Across Systems of Evaluati... bit.ly/1hJCPmR 5 days ago
- Leadership as a Dominant Cultural Myth: A Strain-Based Perspective on Leadership Approaches: The current paper... bit.ly/1hJCPmJ 5 days ago
- Positive Emotion Differentiation: A Functional Approach: While positive emotion can be conceptualized broadly ... bit.ly/1kYMqGc 5 days ago