The ‘Partner exploitation and violence in teenage intimate relationships’ research by the NSPCC and Bristol University provides us with an interesting (and alarming) glimpse at ‘standardised relational pair’ categories (Sacks, 1992) and the moral accountability attached to them (Jayussi, 1984). Sacks’ work on categories and their deployment found that certain categories go together like ‘boyfriend–girlfriend’. Members of these categories which form ‘standardised relational pairs’ have rights, responsibilities and duties to each other. In our example ‘boyfriend–girlfriend’, it is presumed that each person should provide a safe, supportive, caring and respectful relationship environment for each other to grow and develop. It follows then that category pairs and associated predicates (rights, responsibilities etc) are relational in the sense that one may be expected to follow the next with accountability as a moral-procedural requirement. Breaches between these categories and predicates ‘one in six said they had been pressured into sexual intercourse and 1 in 16 said they had been raped’, tend to generate moral outrage/alarm and interactional repair solutions ‘parents and schools can perform a vital role in teaching them about loving and safe relationships, and what to do if they are suffering from violence or abuse’.
Teen girls abused by boyfriends warns NSPCC
Objectification Theory and Psychology of Women: A Decade of Advances and Future Directions
A tutorial on membership categorization
Social Psychology Eye
- Truck driver... no wait a professor! Can glasses really change impressions of you?
- Why do we join groups?
- Astrology, the Forer Effect, and the Allure of Personal Feedback
- The Pursuit of Happiness
- Bystanders... just standing by. When do people help and when do they not?
- Masculinity, men’s health and the ‘caveman diet’
- Is love blind? Positive illusions in romantic relationships
- Confirmation Bias, Satire, and Stephen Colbert
- ‘I am a Manly Man!’
- Earning Moral Credit by Buying “Green”: South Park Was Right All Along!
- Teaching and Learning Guide for: Towards an Emplaced, Relationally-Focused and Action-Orientated Social Psycho... bit.ly/1qPtXOR 2 weeks ago
- Class Dismissed: Putting Social Class on the Critical Psychological Agenda: Despite persuasive arguments perta... bit.ly/1qPtXOG 2 weeks ago
- Implicit and Explicit Evaluation: A Brief Review of the Associative–Propositional Evaluation Model: A central ... bit.ly/1qPtUTf 2 weeks ago
- Self-forgiveness: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Traditionally, self-forgiveness has been framed as a proces... bit.ly/XzxecD 2 weeks ago
- Personalizing Behavioral Interventions Through Single-Patient (N-of-1) Trials: Behavioral interventions are ty... bit.ly/1qPu0Kp 2 weeks ago