The ‘Partner exploitation and violence in teenage intimate relationships’ research by the NSPCC and Bristol University provides us with an interesting (and alarming) glimpse at ‘standardised relational pair’ categories (Sacks, 1992) and the moral accountability attached to them (Jayussi, 1984). Sacks’ work on categories and their deployment found that certain categories go together like ‘boyfriend–girlfriend’. Members of these categories which form ‘standardised relational pairs’ have rights, responsibilities and duties to each other. In our example ‘boyfriend–girlfriend’, it is presumed that each person should provide a safe, supportive, caring and respectful relationship environment for each other to grow and develop. It follows then that category pairs and associated predicates (rights, responsibilities etc) are relational in the sense that one may be expected to follow the next with accountability as a moral-procedural requirement. Breaches between these categories and predicates ‘one in six said they had been pressured into sexual intercourse and 1 in 16 said they had been raped’, tend to generate moral outrage/alarm and interactional repair solutions ‘parents and schools can perform a vital role in teaching them about loving and safe relationships, and what to do if they are suffering from violence or abuse’.
Teen girls abused by boyfriends warns NSPCC
Objectification Theory and Psychology of Women: A Decade of Advances and Future Directions
A tutorial on membership categorization
Social Psychology Eye
- Issue Information October 17, 2014
- Race, Religion, or Ethnicity?: Situating Jews in the American Scene October 17, 2014
- Religion and the Japanese American Incarceration October 17, 2014
- Issue Information October 15, 2014
- Better Surface Realization through Psycholinguistics October 15, 2014
- Why do we join groups?
- Are you afraid to go to Mexico? Mental shortcuts may promote misperceptions about risk
- The Pursuit of Happiness
- Truck driver... no wait a professor! Can glasses really change impressions of you?
- Featured Journals
- Ostracism and School Shootings: What's the Connection?
- Social and Personality Psychology Compass © Blackw…
- When "The Black Sheep" Is White
- Confirmation Bias, Satire, and Stephen Colbert
- News Editors
- Antecedents of Message Processing in Persuasion: Traditional and Emergent Perspectives: From more than a half ... bit.ly/ZmskjG 2 weeks ago
- Pathways Between Concealable Stigmatized Identities and Substance Misuse: Individuals with concealable stigmat... bit.ly/1rZNrDL 2 weeks ago
- Exaggerated Positivity in Self-Evaluation: A Social Neuroscience Approach to Reconciling the Role of Self-este... bit.ly/1rZNpfd 2 weeks ago
- Issue Information: No abstract is available for this article. bit.ly/1rZNrDH 2 weeks ago
- Let Go of Your (Inflated) Ego: Caring more about Others Reduces Narcissistic Tendencies: Narcissists are known... bit.ly/1o4v8YO 1 month ago